Monday, July 27, 2009

Hanging Out With The Fam in Switzerland

When I tell people that I have family in Switzerland, I almost inevitably get the "oh, so you're Swiss.  I can totally see that" comment.  It's funny, because to my knowledge, I don't have a drop of Swiss ancestry in me.  I do, however, have an aunt, an uncle, and three cousins in Switzerland.  It's always a great time visiting our Swiss family, because they don't make it to the U.S. very often, and we don't make it to Switzerland very often.

JB and I were lucky to spend a week with them in Basel and the Alps recently, just hanging out and seeing the local sights.  We only saw my cousin Jonas for a day before he left for an Italian vacation with his friends, but we got to see lots of my cousins, Mirjam and David, and of course my Uncle Richard and Aunt Beatrice.  We saw an amazing Van Gogh exhibit in Basel, took a day trip through the Black Forest region of Germany just across the border, did a little hiking in the Alps, and took a day trip to see both the Swiss and Italian Alps and the famous, ritzy ski resort St. Moritz.  Apart from doing some touristy things, we had some good quality time playing intense games of Monopoly, Yatzee, and ping pong and going out with David and Mirjam.

Switzerland is a beautiful place, and even after going to so many different countries, it still remains one of my favorite places to go, if not my absolute favorite.  It's got spectacular scenery; it's an outdoor adventurer's paradise; it's clean; it's safe; people are friendly; they make some of the best cheese in the world and have ready access to the best wines; there are flowers and gardens everywhere; public transportation is easy and abundant...I could go on.  The only two big downsides--it gets COLD in the winter, and something as "cheap" as a Big Mac costs nearly seven dollars in Switzerland!  Thank goodness we have such a great family there to take care of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment